We're an established, innovative digital marketing and application development agency that provides dedicated and managed hosting solutions as well as SaaS solutions to our clients. We're seeking a motivated and talented part time / contract IT Manager and System Administrator to assist us in maintaining a number of co-located Linux servers running mostly a LAMP stack, three Windows Servers, as well as custom web applications using those services. We employ virtualization on some servers using Xen, and Docker to create and maintain application containers. Others are legacy physical servers in the process of being virtualized or phased out, but still require support.
QR Code Link to This Post
This is a part time position requiring on average 5 hours of work per week, although this can fluctuate. You would team up with and back up our existing IT manager. Candidates must be available during business hours and after hours, and available to respond to emergency issues after hours as well.
Ideal candidates have created or are working to create their own freelance IT / system administration practice (where we are not the only client), or may be currently employed but have flexible scheduling and can respond to urgent matters during regular business hours as well as after hours. You should also be understanding of budget limitations and have patience to plan major architecture changes over time.
- Configuring new Linux servers for clients - usually VMs via Xen, but occasionally a physical server
- Monitoring the health of our 8+ co-located servers, backup systems-and responding proactively
- Server hardware upgrades, including a planned migration to virtualization
- Server patches and updates (of both the LAMP environment and installed software like content management systems)
- Assisting with implementation of web projects that cross the IT/software divide, such as mysql and apache performance optimization, or configuring and testing cron jobs that interface with web applications
- Configure and manage servers running in a unique system architecture to secure certain data sets
- Respond to emergencies such as servers down, etc. If necessary, be willing and able to travel to our data center in north Medford, MA
- Cisco ASA Firewall configuraition and adjustments and tuning to accommodate clients with unique security needs
- Disaster recovery (restoring backed up sites, servers, mail, etc.)
- Manage a limited number of VM instances in a private cloud system that is VMware based
- New computer installation and setup on our internal LAN
- Assisting clients with IT needs (under subcontract)
- Develop network / server configuration plans
- Keep up to date documentation on processes or server configurations in our knowledgebase
1. 5+ years of LAMP system administration experience with web facing applications, LAMP server administration experience, networking, and also security experience, with an emphasis on strong command line experience
3. 3+ years experience with Postfix
4. 3+ years experience with virtualization (experience with Xen is a plus)
5. 3+ years experience with application development tools and infrastructure such as Git, Vagrant, Docker. SVN experience a plus but not required.
6. Familiarity with collaboration, ticketing and project management systems. Specific expertise with JIRA, Confluence and Freshdesk a plus but not required.
7. Experience configuring server and network security tools (e.g., CFS, LFD on Linux servers, Cisco ASA firewalls, etc.)
8. Use of TimeDoctor, a timetracking tool that integrates with our project management and ticketing system.
9. Available during business hours and occasional off hours, and be able to support us off hours in the event of emergencies.
10. Able to charge a reasonable hourly rate to start in line with the long term commitment we offer
11. Excellent communication skills (e.g., advise us of ETAs, keep track of deadlines, be proactive, etc.)
12. Take responsibility and be accountable for your work
13. Use time well (e.g., setup automated tasks in parallel)
14. Have a car and be able to travel to both our office just north of Boston and our data center in the metro west area.
Please respond with:
1. Cover letter